Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Gooya no Hi


Recently in class we talked about gooya no hi, which is a shorthand way of saying May 8th. Gooya is also a homophone for a type of vegetable from Okinawa, so on the May 8th, many Japanese eat food with gooya to celebrate the day. (You can see a picture of gooya on the right. It's sometimes referred to as "bitter melon").

You can also change your birthday date into shorthand and see if it means anything. Mine, for example, shortens into toushi. There are three definitions in the dictionary for this one. The first is “death by freezing.” That’s a little morbid, so let’s skip that. The second is “fighting spirit”. So cool! Then the last was “investment”, which was pretty lame. I think I’ll stick with the second.

I then went and tried to figure out my family’s birthdays. Dad turned out to be gochomi, which doesn’t mean anything. Then Tim was nachomi, which also doesn’t mean anything. (But it does begin with nacho! If you know Tim and see him anytime soon, please call him Nacho for me). (I know. I’m such a nice, considerate sister).

Mom lucked out though. Her shorthand birthday was niko. Nikoniko means “smilingly; with a happy smile”. I thought it was pretty accurate. :)

I’m not sure how to do all dates, but if you’re interested post your birthday and I’ll see what I can do!

5 comments:

  1. 八月十四日は私のたんじょう日です。(August 14th) Does my sentence structure make sense? I'm trying to review before I get shipped off to camp. Also, I have no idea how you are shortening these. I realize that "niko" must be in February but I don't know what the ko stands for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kokonoka, the ninth. :) I think yours would be Hachoyo... or hachoshi...neither of which mean anything, according to google translator. (Haven't got a dictionary on me at the moment). :/ I guess I got lucky.

    As for your sentence structure, it's correct, but I think it's more common to have it switched. 私の誕生日は、八月十四日です。

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Veronica, Great to be back on line to read your blog! I love seeing you enjoying yourself in Japan. I agree with you about the Louve...I remember you taling about that.

    So what would July 9 mean?
    Love, Aunt Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aunt Patti!
    I only just found this comment--it was on one of the older post so I didn't know to look for it.

    July 9th is nako, which according to the dictionary I have right now, doesn't mean anything either. :/ Bummer. I guess I really lucked out with my birthday.
    Love,
    V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Veronica, just got your blog address last week,so I'm trying to some catch-up reading. my birthday is may 2 and aunt Kathy's is aug 4. see ya next month---thanks
    uncle Rip

    ReplyDelete

Followers