Friday, June 25, 2010

Flower Festival, and a mildly related tangent

Last weekend I went with my host family to the annual Hakodate flower festival down by the docks. Flower vendors from all over Hakodate were there with stands full of flowers and other plants too. There were flower displays, and little sets simulating garden scenes featuring the different types of flowers. A stage was set up at one end, and a band was playing the entire time we were there. And, as one expects from an event that draws lots of people, there were lots of food stands.

So here are all the pictures of the pretty flowers and the stands:




But those weren’t my favorite part. You have to guess that.

Scratch that, you’ll never guess this one.

My favorite part was….

….





[dramatic drum roll]

[dramatic drum roll continues]

[dramatic drum roll continues]

[drummers give up and ditch their drums]

[awkward silence]

….

The robot squid!
Ha ha, I kid you not! (If I were kidding, would I have a picture?) A local school robotics club put this one together for the festival. Hakodate is famous for its fishing industry, particularly its squid. So cute, cartoony squid can be found all over the town. Like on this fence:

And on this sidewalk:

And on this manhole cover:


At any rate, hopefully I’ll get a chance to try a dish of Hakodate’s favorite squishy sea creature* before I leave. :)

*I just made that sound so appetizing, didn’t I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers