Monday, June 21, 2010

My dear older … sister, brother, brosister, what??!

Ok, so I mentioned this in an earlier post. Last weekend, when I was first talking about my family with my host family, I accidentally described my brother as my sister for a good five minutes of conversation before I realized what I’d done.


You may be wondering how this happened. Alright, so the formal words for older brother and sister are:


Oniisan – brother

Oneesan – sister


These are used when referring to someone else’s siblings. So my host family would use these to refer to my older siblings, but I would use:


Ani - brother

Ane – sister


You see how close those last two are? Those would be the two I screwed up.


Sorry, Tim. I’m still your favorite sister, right?*


*I’m his only sister, so this is actually the default state. He really has no choice in the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers