Saturday, June 12, 2010

Host family!

Today I met my host family. They are the Kiuchi family. My host father (otoosan) runs a boarding house adjacent to their home. My host mother (okaasan) also helps in running this, and also teaches Japanese. (Otoosan and Okaason mean father and mother, respectively. They are the honorific terms. But when I talk about my parents, for example, I say chichi and haha instead, since I humbly refer to people in my "in-group" when talking to others.) (Don't you feel smarter already?)

At the opening ceremony, I was very surprised to see on the program that none other than my Otoosan was speaking on behalf of the host families at the ceremony. Apparently they are a very experienced host family and have hosted many other ryuugakusee (students studying abroad) before me.

After the ceremony, Otoosan brought me home, where I met Okaasan and Obaachan (my host grandmother). Okaasan showed me my room, which is pretty awesome:




Totally beats a hotel room, ne? (Right?)

(I'm not totally sure what the meaning of the wall hanging in the back is yet, I'll let you know when I get around to asking. At the moment, my Japanese is exhausted. I talked to Okaasan for hours! But it's good for me. :)

The outside of the house is also very nice. Of course, I got some pictures of the house too. :)

(The view of the house from the street)

(The garden)

(The front door)

(Just as you walk in)

(The living/dining room, featuring Okaasan writing her grocery list as I creep around the house with the camera)

Since it's getting late now, I'll end it here. My next post may just be a bunch of pictures I took of Hakodate's historical district during the day yesterday. Descriptions may or may not happen. X)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers